
Thirty-six Haitians who arrived on the island on Saturday, September 9, by boat have been returned to their home country.
According to the Ministry of National Security in a statement on Monday, September 11, the Haitians were denied entry into the country after immigration checks and security vetting.
“The Ministry of National Security became aware of the group’s arrival and consequently mobilised through the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) and Passport Citizenship and Immigration Agency (PICA) in partnership with the Ministry of Health and Wellness, the necessary measures to see their safety and welfare needs,” the security ministry said.
The ministry said that the vetting process revealed that there were members among the group who had been previously removed from Jamaica for breach of entry.
“The Government of Jamaica is in dialogue with the government in Haiti and arrangements have been made with the relevant authorities in Haiti to facilitate the group’s safe return,” the ministry added.
This is the second group of Haitians to arrive on the island since the start of the year.
Another group of 37 Haitians, who arrived on the island by boat in July, are now seeking asylum in the country amidst the soaring gang violence and economic turmoil gripping their home country.
Comments