News
JAM | Aug 28, 2025

BOJ unconcerned election spending will drive up inflation

/ Our Today

administrator
Reading Time: 2 minutes
Bank of Jamaica (BOJ) Governor, Richard Byles. (Photo: JIS/file)

Durrant Pate/Contributor

The Bank of Jamaica (BOJ) is unconcerned that the massive sums being spent on election campaigning and administering the September 3 general election will trigger a demand-pull in inflation to the extent that it breaches its four to six per cent inflation target this year.

The Electoral Commission of Jamaica and the Electoral Office of Jamaica have been allocated almost J$2 billion to administer the general election, while the two major political parties have been spending millions each week on campaigning, which hit high gear in recent months. In addition, both traditional and social media in Jamaica have been inundated with political advertising costing millions of dollars. 

When Out Today put the question to BOJ Governor Richard Byles as to whether this massive election spending would trigger a demand-pull in inflation, he was unperturbed.

“It certainly would be extra spending in the economy, what’s the extent of it, I don’t know,” Byles said while emphasising that it would take billions to impact inflation. “But I suspect that it will pass through and will only be temporary.”

Senior BOJ Deputy Governors Dr Wayne Robinson and Natalie Haynes at the bank’s quarterly press briefing on Thursday, August 21, 2025. (Photo: Dennis Brown/Our Today)

Senior BOJ Deputy Governor, Dr Wayne Robinson, sought to bring some analysis in explaining the spending impact on inflation, noting, “You have to look at what’s happening in the overall fiscal performance; you can’t just look at one aspect. So far, for the first quarter (2025), the fiscal deficit is in line with budget. When we look ahead, the government will meet its fiscal target of a balanced budget for this fiscal year. 

In conclusion, he said that there are no concerns at this point.

Comments

What To Read Next

News JAM Aug 28, 2025

Reading Time: 2 minutesPNP MP Candidate for South East St Ann, Dr Kenneth Russell, expresses profound sadness at the horrific incident in Moneague where two innocent children were brutally murdered. The police are treating the father of the children as a suspect and have taken him into custody.

“The murder of two innocent children is a dark day for our community and our country. As a community, we are weeping, we are numb – the only thing that is clear is that this makes no sense. No words can adequately capture the devastation felt by the family, friends, neighbours, and all who have been touched by the lives of these children.