The CG Insurance ODI series between the West Indies and Australia is in jeopardy of being abandoned following Thursday’s (July 22) postponement of the second match of the series due to a positive coronavirus (COVID-19) test result from a non-playing member of the West Indies staff.
The decision to postpone the match was taken after the toss at Kensington Oval in Barbados, once the result was known.
The development prompted a statement from the sport’s governing body, the International Cricket Council (ICC), which said, “The 2nd ODI between West Indies and Australia has been suspended with immediate effect due to a positive COVID-19 case. All personnel inside the bubble will be placed into isolation.”
Meanwhile, according to Cricket West Indies, the established COVID-19 protocols stipulate that all members of both teams and match officials return immediately to the team hotel and were re-tested later in the day. They will remain in isolation in their hotel rooms until their PCR-Test results are returned.
A decision on when the match will be replayed will be made at a later date once all the test results are confirmed, CWI said. The results are expected to be known on Friday.
Depending on the results, the series could come to a premature end and could impact the upcoming series against Pakistan, whose team arrived in Barbados this week for five ODIs and two Tests.
The Indian Premier League and Pakistan Super League, respectively, were postponed earlier this year after several cases of COVID-19 infections were detected inside team bubbles.
The West Indies trail the series 1-0 after Australia won the opening match of the series by 133 runs by way of the Duckworth/Lewis method.
Australia made 252-9 from 49 overs. Hayden Walsh Jr took a career-best 5-39. The West Indies, needing to score 253 for victory, were bowled out for 123 in 26.2 overs. Man of the Match Mitchell Starc took 5-48.