Chairman of the Jamaica College (JC) Board Michael Bernard has dismissed rumours circulating around the extension of school principal Ruel Reid’s leave.
Bernard, in a statement this morning (November 18), said the JC Board would issue a release some time tonight or early tomorrow on the controversial matter which has thrown the school into turmoil in recent weeks.
Bernard’s terse statement comes amid reports this morning that members of the JC Board and Old Boys’ association had resigned in protest over revelations that the Board had decided to extend Reid’s special leave for another five years.
Reid, who is currently before the court on corruption charges, served as the country’s education minister back in 2016 but was forced to give up the post in 2019 after allegations surfaced connecting him to misconduct related to the Caribbean Maritime University (CMU).
Reid, who was principal of JC at the time of his appointment as education minister, had taken special leave from the high school in order to serve in the Cabinet post. He has continued to receive a salary for the post while Wayne Robinson has been acting principal since 2016.
The JC Board in October submitted a letter to the Ministry of Education in which it made three recommendations for a way forward in light of Reid’s request for an extension of his special leave, which is due to end on November 20.
The Board had requested a response by November 10, but Our Today understands that Education Minister Fayval Williams told the board earlier this week that, as it was empowered to make its own decision on Reid’s status, the ministry would not be putting forward a recommendation.
The Board had earlier stated that it did not want to be forced into a position where it had to either approve the special leave or, alternatively, allow Reid to resume duties at the school.