The recently launched Social Justice (So-JUST) project which was funded by is set to focus on equitable access to Justice for Jamaicans.
Emina Tudakovic, Canada’s high commissioner to Jamaica said that justice is an important part of Jamaica’s national strategy and national plan. The project, which has CAD$12 million, will be implemented between 2023 and 2030.
“We believe quite firmly that security is vital to the development of Jamaica, and this is one of the areas that we’ve chosen to focus on that complement the work that the Government of Jamaica already does,” she said.
The project which was also implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), in partnership with the Ministry of Justice is set to strengthen and promote a rights-based and gender-sensitive justice system that achieves equitable outcomes for all Jamaicans.
The So-JUST project will support human rights and a gender-responsive approach and foster improved changes within the structures of the Ministry of Justice, the Courts, and other related agencies.
Denise Antonio, the UNDP resident representative, noted that this project would be crucial in supporting inclusion and promoting equity within the justice system, benefiting communities and people.
“This is a defining moment in Jamaica’s bold and exemplary journey to strengthen its justice system. It calls for us to confront social and cultural biases. It calls on us to systematically dismantle the barriers which deny too many vulnerable Jamaicans the right to access their constitutionally guaranteed rights and freedoms. UNDP is your proud partner in this critical journey for social justice under the leadership of the Ministry of Justice, and with funding from Global Affairs Canada,” Denise said.
Goals of the project:
- Gender-Responsive Alternative Justice Services and Strategies
- Support the Legislative, Policy and Programmatic Framework for Gender Responsive Justice Services and Support Systems
- Strengthened Legal Aid Services to Women, Girls and Underserved Communities:
- Gender-responsive Witness Care and Child Justice Coordination Systems
- Gender-Responsive Justice Informational, Educational and Communication Products
- Strengthened Capacity of Justice Training Institute
- Courts Records Management System