News
JAM | Aug 28, 2025

PM condemns stabbing death of two toddlers in St Ann

Toriann Ellis

Toriann Ellis / Our Today

author
Reading Time: 2 minutes
Prime Minister Dr Andrew Holness addresses a special post-Cabinet press briefing on Thursday, May 29, 2025, at Jamaica House. (Photo: JIS/Yhomo Hutchinson)

Prime Minister Andrew Holness has expressed condolences to the families of one-year-old Ameir Saunders and three-year-old Shamair Henry, who were stabbed to death in Moneague, St Ann, on Wednesday.

“The government and people of Jamaica are today deeply shaken and heartbroken by the tragic incident where two young children were found dead under horrific circumstances,” Holness said.

It is reported that a man who confessed to killing his son and stepson drank ganja tea before the incident.

Police say the mother of the boys went to the home of one of the child’s fathers where they had been staying.

The mother alerted police after allegedly observing that the 23-year-old father was acting strangely, blood stains were in sections of the house, and the children were not in sight.

The prime minister, in a statement, expressed that no parent should have to deal with the tragic loss of a child. “I extend my deepest condolences to the grieving mother, family members, and the wider community, who must now grapple with this unimaginable pain and loss. No parent should ever have to endure such a tragedy, and as a country, we mourn alongside them.”

He urged members of the society to become more vigilant in safeguarding the well-being of children. “Whenever there are signs that they may be at risk, it is important that action is taken to protect them,” Holness added. “The government remains committed to strengthening our systems of support for families and ensuring that our agencies are responsive in situations where children may be endangered.”

He expressed that protecting the most vulnerable is not only a duty of the state but also a responsibility of each and every citizen. “Today, Jamaica weeps. Let us come together in prayer for the two precious lives cut short and for the mother and relatives who must now face this unspeakable grief. May their souls rest in eternal peace,” Holness said.

Comments

What To Read Next

News JAM Aug 28, 2025

Reading Time: 2 minutesPNP MP Candidate for South East St Ann, Dr Kenneth Russell, expresses profound sadness at the horrific incident in Moneague where two innocent children were brutally murdered. The police are treating the father of the children as a suspect and have taken him into custody.

“The murder of two innocent children is a dark day for our community and our country. As a community, we are weeping, we are numb – the only thing that is clear is that this makes no sense. No words can adequately capture the devastation felt by the family, friends, neighbours, and all who have been touched by the lives of these children.