News
| Apr 11, 2021

Power cuts, ashfall and pyroclastic flows: La Soufrière eruption continues

Gavin Riley

Gavin Riley / Our Today

administrator
Reading Time: 3 minutes
Seismologists observing ashfall in Richmond, St Vincent after first explosive eruption on April 9. View across the river towards the start of the Leeward trail of the volcano. (Photo: Facebook Thomas Christopher for @UWISeismic)

St Vincent was hit by another explosive event from La Soufrière volcano early on Sunday (April 11), which triggered power cuts and water outages in some areas, while ash clouds began to blanket parts of the island of Barbados.

The National Emergency Management Organisation (NEMO), said there was a huge power outage after another explosive event at the volcano.

For their part, the St Vincent Electricity Services assured that restoration operations continue.

“We at St Vincent Electricity Services Limited continue work to restore power following an island-wide outage shortly after twelve this morning. Power has been restored to most of our customers and our teams have been dispatched to continue restoration work. Please be reminded that the safety of our employees and the public is priority. Therefore, in all instances work will only be done if the environment is safe. We encourage all to remain calm and safe during these challenging times,” the agency said in a statement.

However, by noon local time, power had been restored, residents said.

Early morning view of overnight ashfall at the Belmont Observatory in St Vincent. (Photo: Professor Richard Robertson for Facebook @UWISeismic)

NEMO, in an update on Twitter, also confirmed pyroclastic flows and warned of danger, ruin and perilous conditions for communities closest to La Soufrière.

“Pyroclastic flows at La Soufrière [signal] possible destruction and devastation of communities close to volcano. Current activity pattern similar to that of 1902 eruption. According to Professor Richie Richardson, [flows] likely to cause more damage and destruction,” NEMO indicated.

Following months of effusive (oozing) activity, the volcano erupted on Friday, spewing dark clouds of ash some 10 kilometres into the air and prompting an evacuation of thousands of people on the island.

The volcano has continued to rumble and vent ash since then.

The eruption and resulting ashfall creates a new problem for Vincentians, as the toxins threaten the quality of potable water. At least one collection and distribution centre is severely affected by volcanic ash.

River water quality following ashfall cycles at the main Dalaway Intake in northern St Vincent on Sunday, April 11. (Photo: Facebook @CWSU.SWMU)

The Central Water and Sewerage Authority (CWSA) showed the murky, grey waters of Dalaway intake. The CWSA manages three of its major sources — Montreal, Majorca and Dalaway — which together supply 70 per cent of all potable water in St Vincent.

The University of the West Indies Seismic Research Centre (UWI-SRC) cautioned that the ongoing events at La Soufrière are likely to continue.

“Explosions and accompanying ashfall, of similar or larger magnitude, are likely to continue to occur over the next few days,” the SRC updated on Twitter.

Evacuations continue for those still exposed in the disastrous red zone, with NEMO urging once-reluctant residents to get to the coastal town of Owia.

Personnel from the St Vincent Coastguard evacuating once-reluctant citizens in Owia. (Photo: @NEMOSVG)

“It’s [past] the hour to get out, but we will still get you out, Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves to residents still in Red Zone. Get to Owia if you can and the Coastguard will try to get you out,” NEMO said.

St Vincent and the Grenadines, which has a population of just over 100,000, has not experienced volcanic activity since 1979 when an eruption created approximately $100 million in damages. An eruption by La Soufrière in 1902 killed more than 1,000 people.

Comments

What To Read Next

News JAM Aug 30, 2025

Reading Time: 2 minutesOpposition Leader Mark Golding outlined the People’s National Party’s plans to ensure Jamaicans have access to jobs if outsourcing opportunities decline, given the United States’ implementation of the Keep Call Centres in America Act.

The Keep Call Centres in America Act of 2025 targets the offshoring of call centre operations, imposes new disclosure rules for customer service interactions, and ties federal funding eligibility to domestic operations.

News JAM Aug 29, 2025

Reading Time: 2 minutesPeople’s National Party (PNP) Leader Mark Golding was questioned about his party’s credibility during the 2025 General Election Debate on Thursday, surrounding a past controversy involving PNP General Secretary Julian Robinson and his agreement on the salary increase of parliamentarians by the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) government.

On May 16, 2023, Robinson appeared to support a controversial salary increase for parliamentarians. Yet, just 24 hours later, the PNP released a public statement condemning the raises.