The St Lucia government on Friday (March 10) announced the closure of several schools in the southern town of Vieux Fort after three people were shot and killed and a nine-year-old boy injured as a result of gun violence.
The Ministry of Education, in a statement, cited ‘the current unstable environment’ in Vieux Fort in announcing the closure of five schools in the area.
It said the decision to close the schools follow discussions with the Royal St Lucia Police Force (RSLPF) and apologised for any inconvenience caused.
The ministry advised parents and guardians to make all necessary arrangements to keep themselves and their children safe.
The authorities said that two men, identified only as ‘Brico’ and ‘Dylan’ were shot and killed on Thursday afternoon at the fisheries complex. A woman was also shot and killed at the complex.
Police said the nine-year-old had sustained injuries from the fisheries complex shooting.
According to residents in the southern town, the latest gun violence upsurge has been linked to continuing rival gang activity and media reports.
Last year the Caribbean nation recorded74 murders.