News
JAM | Jan 6, 2022

Sabotage? NHF reveals ‘cut wire’ led to cold storage breakdown impacting almost 1m vaccine doses

/ Our Today

administrator
Reading Time: 2 minutes
Shane Dalling, acting chairman of the National Health Fund.

Acting Chairman of the National Health Fund (NHF) Shane Dalling has all but stated that an act of sabotage may have been responsible for the breakdown in the operation of one of the cold rooms at the NHF Pharmaceutical Warehouse, which left more than 900,000 vaccine doses exposed.

Responding to questions during tonight’s COVID Conversations press briefing, Dalling said the NHF board of management called in the police to investigate the matter after receiving the management’s response and collecting all the statements from the persons who were responsible for responding to the “temperature excursion” at the facility.

“We found preliminarily that a wire was cut for the cooling system and the explanation given as to why the personnel didn’t respond in a timely manner was sufficient cause for concern to call in the police and to also request an independent assessment by a firm outside of the organistion to protect the integrity of the process and the credibility of the NHF and the storage facility,” Dalling said.

“We need to ensure that the report is clear and anyone who is culpible must be held accountable and therefore we felt it necessary that, based on what we saw preliminarily, it required intervention of outside persons.”

Earlier in the day, the NHF board of management said the incident occurred on Christmas Eve (December 24) .

The board of management said the NHF immediately suspended the distribution of the vaccines that were stored in the affected cold room.

It however stressed that there are approximately 500,000 doses of COVID vaccines available to continue Jamaica’s COVID vaccination programme.

These doses were stored in another of the cold rooms operated at the NHF Pharmaceutical Warehouse.

During tonight’s press briefing, Health and Wellness Minister Dr Christopher Tufton dismissed any concern that the country could now be left in short supply if there is a rush for vaccinations in reaction to the spiking rate of COVID-19 infection currently impacting the island.

In fact, Tufton said, with the continuing vaccine take up remaining disappointing, a rush for vaccines would actually be welcomed at this time.

READ: Police probe as thousands of vaccine doses potentially compromised after breakdown at NHF storage facility

Comments

What To Read Next

News JAM Apr 3, 2025

Reading Time: < 1 minuteThe Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) announced the establishment of the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Authority on Wednesday (April 2).

This new entity is a consolidation of the operations of eGov Jamaica Limited and the Office of the Chief Information Officer to provide a single authoritative voice and framework to improve ICT service delivery across the public sector.

News JAM Apr 3, 2025

Reading Time: 2 minutesMinister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade Kamina Johnson Smith says the government of Jamaica is obtaining the requisite technical documentation to ensure accuracy of details and appropriate analysis, following President Donald Trump’s announcement of a 10 per cent tariff on several Caribbean countries on goods imported from the United States.

Trump announced that Wednesday (April 2) will be referred to as “Liberation Day”, which has been a long time coming. “April 2, 2025, will forever be remembered as the day American industry was reborn, the day America’s destiny was reclaimed, and the day that we begin to make America wealthy,” he said.